Skip to main content

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Publication Date: July 31st 2012
Genre: Realistic Fiction ( in a historical setting)
My Goodreads Rating: 4/5
Source: Own Copy

Hey everyone! I'm back with a book review. I was supposed to upload this one sometime last week, but I completely forgot about it...whoops! Anyway, today I'll be reviewing M.L. Stedman's "The Light Between Oceans".
 This book was the Goodreads' Choice Winner for 2012, so when my mom recommended it to me, I decided to give it a go. Admittedly, I was a little hesitant at first, because for some reason the story didn't sound very interesting to me at the time. Once I got into it though, I was really happy with my choice.  
 Tom Sherbourne served in the Australian/British forces in the first war, and after four years on the fronts, he's come back to serve in the lifeguard committe. He's sent to Janus Rock, a quiet island almost a day away from the coast. Not too long into the story, he marries Isabel, a bold, caring young girl from the nearby town.



 After suffering from two miscarriages and a still- birth, Isabel has lost all faith and is devastated. But when she hears a baby's wail coming from the sea she rushes to care for it. The young child is found with a dead man, and no matter how hard Tom tries, Isabel just won't be convinced to report the incident. They name the girl Lucy, and against his will, Tom starts to love the little child. 
 Although the beginning of the story is quite slow, the following chapters seem to flow smoothly and at a good pace. The introduction to the characters was quite lengthy, albeit necessary. I prefer getting to know a character through a novel, rather than at the beginning or at the end. Stedman surprised me by maintaining the dynamic sense acquainted with characters, and did a great job with the character of Tom in particular. 
 New characters are introduced along the way, and although I couldn't possibly tell you which ones, some felt more real than the "main characters" introduced at the beginning of the novel. Drifting in a sea of emotion, the novel is told through the perspective of a man who perceives himself as tough and sensitive at the same time. 
  The story eventually branches away from the underlying heme of family and evolves into one  of justice and perspective. Questioning the readers subtly while pairing morals against rights, this book is a great read for young adults and adults. I'm not sure if this book is a YA novel, I'm more inclined to believe that it's an adult novel. I'd recommend it as a heavy read to readers of both categories. 

Have any of you read this book? Maybe you've read a book that's similar? I would love to hear your thoughts (and possible recommendations ;P) in the comment section below.

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hero, by Rabindranath Tagore

 The narrative poem" The Hero" was written by Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore. Set in a young boy's imaginations this narrative has all the necessary elements and is rich in imagery. The characters, plot, setting, theme, climax and idea are all very clearly outlined.  The setting of the poem falls within the boy's imagination. It is described to have 'spiky grass' and a 'narrow broken path'. It is also mentioned that the country is 'strange and dangerous'. The rurality of the setting is further accentuated when Tagore talks of the 'cattle' and 'wide fields'.

One by Shawnee Kellie

  The poem "One" by Shawnee Kellie is a very interesting and thought-provoking piece of writing. The poem spreads the message that it is not only a large group of people that can make a change, but one idea, one thought, one human that can help make the world a better place. 

Coromandel Fishers by Sarojini Naidu

Hello! For this post I will be exploring another poem written by Sarojini Naidu, called "Coromandel Fishers". This poem can be taken as an allegory, for although it speaks to fishermen, it's metaphoric value speaks to the nation, and can be considered a wakening call for the people of our country. When I wrote about "In the Bazaars of Hyderabad", I mentioned that Sarojini Naidu was one of our freedom fighters, and believed greatly in the Swadeshi movement. Naidu reflects her passion for India in this poem.