Skip to main content

Big Book Summer Challenge 2018

Hey guys- it's that time of year again! Those of you who've been around for a while will know exactly what I'm talking about- Sue Jackson's Big Book Summer Challenge!


What is the challenge?

Every year, she hosts a challenge which encourages participants to read books over 400 pages. For those of us who're in school, reading large books over the course of the year can be a slow process. Working parents may also share in this struggle. Sue relegates her big reading to the summer- and all participants follow her at least partially.

I've participated in this challenge for three years already- and I'm really glad to be joining Sue for my fourth year! You guys should consider joining as well, even if you don't have a blog. You can check out all the details by visiting her blog or Goodreads page.




Details of my participation

Like I've done in the past, I finished reading some of my Big Books this summer before even writing this post! I like to finish my summer travel and then join, especially when I'm travelling so early in the season. It gives me some time to kick-start my challenge and get me excited before I sign up.

This summer, I've only read one big book so far. I had some other books on my TBR list that I just needed to finish before I started the challenge! I began my challenge nice and slow, with a book only 444 pages long.  I've read "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas-and I loved it! Look forward to a review soon!

As some of you may remember from a previous post, I'm currently reading "India After Gandhi" by Ramchandra Guha. It's a long post-independence history of India and hopefully I'll be done by the time school starts. If not, I have time till September 3rd (which is when the challenge ends).

While travelling, my mom and I walked into many bookstores and discovered some new books and authors we'd never heard of. Each country likes to highlight their local authors, or books set in their region, so we found a bunch of interesting books. I'm sure some of them are 400+ pages, so you can look forward to some new authors in my review list as well!

That's all I think I need to say for this post! Ready... Set... Go!

Comments

  1. Welcome to the 2018 Big Book Challenge! Again! So thrilled to have you back again this year :)

    You started with a great one - The Hate U Give was so powerful! The movie adaptation comes out this October! I can't wait.

    Enjoy your Big Books this summer and remember to stop by the Challenge page to link up any reviews or updates in the 2nd links list.

    Glad to have you back!

    Sue

    2018 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to the movie adaptation- it should be great!

      Thanks for hosting again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions, so be sure to leave a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hero, by Rabindranath Tagore

 The narrative poem" The Hero" was written by Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore. Set in a young boy's imaginations this narrative has all the necessary elements and is rich in imagery. The characters, plot, setting, theme, climax and idea are all very clearly outlined.  The setting of the poem falls within the boy's imagination. It is described to have 'spiky grass' and a 'narrow broken path'. It is also mentioned that the country is 'strange and dangerous'. The rurality of the setting is further accentuated when Tagore talks of the 'cattle' and 'wide fields'.

One by Shawnee Kellie

  The poem "One" by Shawnee Kellie is a very interesting and thought-provoking piece of writing. The poem spreads the message that it is not only a large group of people that can make a change, but one idea, one thought, one human that can help make the world a better place. 

Coromandel Fishers by Sarojini Naidu

Hello! For this post I will be exploring another poem written by Sarojini Naidu, called "Coromandel Fishers". This poem can be taken as an allegory, for although it speaks to fishermen, it's metaphoric value speaks to the nation, and can be considered a wakening call for the people of our country. When I wrote about "In the Bazaars of Hyderabad", I mentioned that Sarojini Naidu was one of our freedom fighters, and believed greatly in the Swadeshi movement. Naidu reflects her passion for India in this poem.